Sunday, June 26, 2016

A summer update

I have found that it's hard to blog when the kids are sick and nothing seems to be going right.  I am surprised however, that it has been 6 months since I blogged.


In February things came to a head with Elli, she admitted that she had been eating gluten because she did not like going to her new school.  She had no friends and she was being bullied.  When she ate gluten it made her sick, so she could say that she wanted to stay home because she was sick.  I decided to change schools for both of my youngest children.  This proved to be a very good move.  Elli was no longer bullied.  She was able to get involved with the school play and choir. She continued band at her former school until the end of February and went to Contest.  She got a I in both her flute solo and her vocal solo.  She started doing flute at Music Suite 408 in Peru after that. She got a very good part in the school play "Little Women" as Jo March, as the narrator. She was still sick fairly regularly, but went to school much more regularly.  This month she had some more allergy testing and found out that she is allergic to corn.  Taking that out of her diet, I think, has made a big difference.  She isn't sick as much.  It is tricky since she can't have gluten either, but I think it is worth it.

Elli with some of the cast for Little Women.
She's in the teal dress.

JoJo didn't like his new school at first because it was "harder".  He still pulled off all "A's".  I felt that the other public schools were not challenging him.  He proved this by catching up with his new class in only a few short weeks.  He never had homework.  He was part of the recreational soccer program in the spring.  He continues to do well in violin.  He loves to play board games and computer games.

JJ left and CC right during their spring play.

JJ had another rough time this spring.  Her seizure medicine continued to play havoc with her ability to focus in school and it became even painful to write.  She became very depressed and even got suicidal.  I had to pull her out of two of her classes that were just too overwhelming for her.  She ended up in the hospital for 9 days.  It was horrible for us to see her so low.  After that I realized that it was likely her seizure medication and her neurologist agreed.  We slowly weaned her off that medication.  In the meantime, she was on antidepressants.  The first one made her dizzy and made her stomach hurt.  We switched her to another but it took her appetite away and she was very spacy and mean.  Now we have her off of all three of those and I think she is doing much better.  She doesn't think so, but I can tell.  We are working on getting her English 2 completed this summer, and she can focus on the reading and discussions well.  Hopefully we'll get some writing done this summer too.


JJ continued in a special ensemble group and participated in the play at school.  She did well in spite of the mean medicines!

CC and friend at their formal.
CC finished her senior year and graduated May 28!  She has chosen Bluffton University and will study Writing and Art.  She has earned a few nice scholarships.  She has met her new roommate and is psyched about starting.  She doesn't even want to wait out the summer, but she has to.  She may have finally gotten a job.  She has not had much luck until this week.  She may have a job at Liberty Village as front desk receptionist.  I think this is a good place for her.

DH will have surgery tomorrow, finally, on the ankle that he injured December 26.  It will be a two part surgery with a fusion of part of his ankle, followed by an ankle replacement in 8 weeks.  He isn't looking forward to this, but is looking forward to being able to walk again.  He still can't bear full weight on his right foot after 6 months!

I think I might have something going on with my esophagus.  If I eat bread or dry cookies, hard boiled eggs, etc, they seem to get caught in my esophagus.  I have put it off for a year probably, but it has been getting worse.  Perhaps due to my stress.  Who me, stressed?  Unfortunately it isn't helping me lose weight, but I guess that is a good sign too.

1 comment:

JoAnn said...

Wow that is a lot of issues you and your family are dealing with, I can understand why you are stressed. Praying for you all.