Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Deuteronomy 22:1

Deuteronomy 22:1  "You shall not see your brother's ox or his sheep going astray and ignore them.  You shall take them back to your brother."

This verse came alive to us today in an interesting way.  I read it in my Bible reading this morning, then  I read an interesting story about some others who tried to live this out concerning a goat they saw out of its pen on a roadside.  Then this evening after I got home from work, my 5 year old son was coming from the neighbor's house where he had been playing, and forgot to shut their gate properly.  Their dog got out and the neighbor had to go after it.  When I heard this, I didn't immediately get up and go help look for the dog to make sure they got it back in the yard.  Honestly, I didn't even think about it until supper time.  I remembered the story about the goat and was telling it to my children when it hit me like a brick in the head:  the dog!  My son and I went to the neighbor's right after supper and he apologized for leaving the gate open (he was very brave and did a good job).  I made sure the dog had been found, which it had, and apologized for not coming to help find it sooner.  I am hoping that this experience helps me to be quicker to do what is right in the future, and I know that our visit helped heal relations that were strained by this with our neighbor.

Here is another fun puppet show regarding this passage:  http://www.chabad.org/kids/article_cdo/aid/1060624/jewish/Miracles-Tales-of-Rabbi-Chanina-ben-Dosa.htm
It is taken from a Jewish story about Rabbi Chanina who took literally Deuteronomy 22:1-2.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

3 comments:

JoAnn said...

Interesting how the Lord brought that all together for you. So glad that relations are healing for you and the neighbor.

Carol G said...

I can't say that our relations were really broken, just a little frustrated for the time. They are really great neighbors.

Anonymous said...

Teachable moments!

I hope that you are feeling better. I am taking it easy since my body just couldn't find the entire virus and finally gave in...hehe! We are all really on the mend though and look forward to a better week ahead.