Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Skijoring - it's all the rage in Alaska

These dogs were brought to Victory Bible Camp for teaching participants of the Alaskan Becoming Outdoor Woman Conference to dogsled and skijor.  Aren't they beautiful?



In the yellow coat is my friend Margaret (I think) skijoring for the first time.  She was much braver than I to give this a try, but I hope to be able to give it a go next year!




Skijoring.  It's a wonderful thing.  First you take some well-trained dogs.  Add to that some skate skis or cross-country skis.  Mix them together with a harness to connect them well.  Finally say, "Let's go!" and the dog pulls the skier on the skis!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, very interesting. I just learned something new today. Never even heard of Skijoring before, now I've heard it and I know what it is. :)

JoAnn

morningstar said...

The dogs are stunningly beautiful! What a wonderful time you are having.

Bushrat John said...

I tried skiis once and my legs kept going in opposite directions so, I went to dog sledding.

Carol G said...

I like to ski, but I'm not amazing at it. Still I think I could do okay with this. Do you have any dogs, John? I'd like try dogsledding next year also.

Bushrat John said...

I had dogs and when I decided to move around, I got rid of them. I have recently thought about getting back into dog sledding when the new cabin is built. It's tough to be alone and take care of dogs, you can't go anywhere without your dogs.

Carol G said...

I'm sure you are right about that. However if you just had a few dogs you wouldn't be alone. My husband and I would like some goats and we have to weigh the cost of what to do when we go away as well.

PlainJane said...

Skijoring is very big here too, esp. in northern Minnesota. We have good friends that skijorn. And a neighbor, Amber's violin teacher, also skijorns.

Alaska Bound said...

You mentioned Victory Bible Camp.. Are you there? If so say Hi to Todd Bozenits and his wife from the Huismans.. We were at Frontier School of the Bible together in Wy before they went to VBC..

Carol G said...

No, sorry. I was there in March for the Becoming Outdoor Women conference. I didn't meet many of the VBC staff personally. It's a nice camp in a beautiful setting though.